Monday, October 27, 2008

Farewell Blue


The other night when Bella was getting ready for bed she said, "Mom, Blue is at the bottom of the fish tank and he isn't waking up." Sure enough, Blue was dead. I broke the news to Bella, thinking she would be devastated. I started to explain where Blue is now... "Honey, Blue is in hea..." when Bella cut me off mid-sentence and asked excitedly, "Can I get a new fish? Can it be pink?" I thought, "Wow. That was way easier than I thought it would be."

Well, because of Blaine's work schedule (yes, I waited for him to do the job), it took two days for Blaine to flush Blue down the toilet. That deed was done tonight and boy did that open up the floodgates! Bella was an emotional wreck when she realized that Blue was not going to be in her fish tank anymore. She started bawling and saying, "Mom, I miss Blue." She has been crying for an hour straight. Poor little thing is experiencing grief at losing something she loved for the very first time. I tried to comfort her by saying that Great Grandpa is now taking care of Blue in heaven. But, she is beyond comfort right now. She is so sad! Honestly, I didn't even think that she liked that fish very much but I guess I was wrong. Blaine and I have been tag teaming on nursing the emotional wounds. I think he just got a small glimpse into the future and he just said, "I'm scared to see her as a teenager!"

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Our beloved goldfish of 5 years died a couple of months ago and Abby took it really hard also. Bella is so sweet in her mourning. I hope she is on the up and up soon!

Eldrberry Grove said...

Chandler completely lost it when his pet parakeet died a few months ago. I didn't think they take it that hard when they're that young. Oops.

Carlin said...

Stick with fish, it does get easier. We have burried many fish, a few lizards, a skink (type of lizard), two gerbils -very hard- and a mouse, a hamster, gave away a turtle and I'm hoping the dog lives a really long time. It is harder the softer and fuzzier they are.

Jolayne said...

So sorry for Bella.